James "Red" Hall

Inducted: 2005

Best Known For: Golf


A lifetime member of the PGA, he was instrumental in aiding several successful golf courses and serving with numerous golfing boards, and his name is synonymous with golf in the McAllen-Mission area.

James “Red” Hall started as a caddy at Shary Municipal Golf Course in 1935, returning after a stint in WWII to become head pro at Shary. Later, he helped build the McAllen Municipal Course and eventually moved on to the Palmview Course. After that, he was involved with the design of Cimarron Country Club in Mission.

During his career, Hall served as president of the Rio Grande Valley PGA chapter and was an official, player, and sponsor of the Rio Grande Valley Open golf tournament.

Now living in the Dallas area, Hall was inducted into the PGA Half Century Club for his lifetime of contributions. He was always willing to mentor young golfers.